Why are we looking for you
NTS develops, produces, assembles and tests complex (opto-)mechatronic systems and mechanical modules for large, high-tech machine manufacturers (OEMs). As a first-tier systems supplier, we focus on companies active in markets with high levels of product diversity, low volumes and high complexity, such as the semiconductor, lifesciences and digital printing markets, in which precision, actuation in multiple degrees of freedom and cleanroom manufacturing are paramount.
At NTS D&E we want to execute a student project to investigate and demonstrate the possibilities of integrating sensors in 3D printed mechanical structures (such as a frame for a mechatronics product) in order to measure the performance and wear of such structures. Different technical disciplines will work together in the project such as Additive manufacturing, mechanical engineering including FEM, sensor technology, signal processing, data analysis as well as mechatronics. One potential embodiment is the implementation of cavities at multiple locations in the 3D printed structure and mount pressure sensors in these cavities to monitor dynamic loads that are imposed on the structure.
What will you be doing
The Project Assignment has the following objectives:
- Study the existing literature for integrating sensors in 3D printed structures, regarding the impact on 3D printing but also which sensor modalities can be applied for particular performance measurements of the 3D printed structure
- Create specifications for a 3D printed structure and design the structure, including FEM calculations to determine the points of interest in the structure as well as to safeguard that the mechanical integrity of the structure is maintained
- Create specifications for the readout system for the sensors in the 3D printed structure including data analysis functionality, and how to present the results in a user interface
- Create specifications for a mechatronics test set up that will be able to put mechanical stimuli to the 3D printed structure
- Design and prototype the 3D printed structure, the data-analysis part and the mechatronics test setup
- Conduct hardware & software tests, and write a test report and a sales pitch
- Documentation of the entire system in such a way that multiple copies of the set up can be realized by third parties
LocationBecause you are part of a multidisciplinary project team, the execution location of this project is at our D&E location in Eindhoven. Coaching and supervision is provided from this site.At this moment we are considering to execute the project together with other companies in Eindhoven area as well, with as potential outcome that the 3D printed structure, the dataprocessing part and the test set up will be taken care of by 3 different companies and that these companies will take care of coaching the students working on the particular part of the project.
TimingThe project needs to start in fourth quarter of 2020.
What skill do you have
Required skill levels for the various required competences are a Bachelor degree in Mechatronics or a degree/backgroundthat has significant overlap with this.
- The project is open for both individual students or teams of students.
- Tailoring the project deliverables towards the requirements of your institute/university is possible.
- As an individual person, you are pro-active, eager to learn and a self-starter.
What do we offer
NTS offers the opportunity to work for a successful and dynamic business with a leading market position and an engaging project portfolio. Our organization has a characteristically informal and friendly atmosphere, and our staff looks out for each other. Drive, entrepreneurial spirit, a results-focused mindset and striving to be the best are what we aim for in everything that we make and do. Naturally, these are traits that we are also looking for in our new colleague.
What can you expect
This is your opportunity to be involved in state-of-the-art technology together with enthusiastic colleagues and ambitious high tech customers in a pleasant working environment. At NTS we highly value our employees: we actively invest in your technical and personal development, while your expertise, energy and commitment is appreciated by means of a competitive full benefit package.
For more information on this Project Assignment please contact:
Eddy Allefs, Technology Manager +31 (0)6 53 63 24 78
Are you ready to make a difference? Please let us know, apply and add your resume and cover letter.
You will be working at one of the leading first-tier suppliers in high-tech. You are passionate about and committed to your specialization, just like our other colleagues. In return for your passion and enthusiasm, we will provide you with chances and opportunities to grow further in your career.
You like to work on projects which contribute to the technology of the future. We make sure to connect challenging projects and activities to your knowledge and competences in the best possible way. That’s how we accelerate the future for you and our customers.
You are motivated to take professional and competence oriented courses, in order to keep developing your knowledge and skills in the field of innovation, creativity, talent development and entrepreneurship.
Do you want to receive our vacancies directly in your mailbox?
Leave your e-mail address and keep informed.
Click here for our privacy statement.