Why are we looking for you
NTS develops, produces, assembles and tests complex (opto-)mechatronic systems and mechanical modules for large, high-tech machine manufacturers (OEMs). As a first-tier systems supplier, we focus on companies active in markets with high levels of product diversity, low volumes and high complexity, such as the semiconductor, lifesciences and digital printing markets, in which precision, actuation in multiple degrees of freedom and cleanroom manufacturing are paramount.
At NTS D&E we have in past 15 years developed full software stack for mechatronic systems control (from low level motion control up to graphical user interfaces and all functionality in between such as connectivity to the external world), where we make use of Ethercat as one of the under laying hardware building blocks. As more and more data needs to be collected in these mechatronic systems, we need to study the impact on the existing NTS processing platform, as potentially not all data can be collected due to bandwidth reasons.
We want to execute a student project to investigate how edge computing can help us to bring the right information to the analytics components . This is a paradigm switch from ‘maximizing data over bandwidth’ to ‘maximize relevant information over bandwidth’.
What will you be doing
The Project Assignment has the following objectives:
- Use an EtherCAT slave based on C code on embedded Texas Instruments platform as the starting point. (CANOpen over EtherCAT)
- Goal is to provide data for analytics, such as done at an IoT platform. Simply supplying all possible data is too much
- Edge computing is needed to communicate smart data instead of all data. Algorithms should be applied to reduce the amount of data without too many concessions to the amount of information. Both lossy and lossless algorithms are to be investigated
- Implement ideas on the Texas Instruments based platform as in use by NTS
- Test and compare alternative solutions
- Recommendations on algorithms to be used, and optionally on hardware design to optimize edge computing possibilities
- Write a report
Because you are part of a multidisciplinary project team, the execution location of this project is at our D&E location in Eindhoven. Coaching and supervision is provided from this site.
TimingWe are flexible regarding the start of the project. Soonest start is September 2020, and the project should not start later than March 2021.
What skill do you have
- The project can be carried out as a Bachelor or Master graduation project or PD-Eng traineeship.
- In all cases your background is Computing Science with embedded software affinity.
- Tailoring the project deliverables towards the requirements of your institute/university is possible.
- As an individual person, you are pro-active, eager to learn and a self-starter.
What do we offer
NTS offers the opportunity to work for a successful and dynamic business with a leading market position and an engaging project portfolio. Our organization has a characteristically informal and friendly atmosphere, and our staff looks out for each other. Drive, entrepreneurial spirit, a results-focused mindset and striving to be the best are what we aim for in everything that we make and do. Naturally, these are traits that we are also looking for in our new colleague.
What can you expect
This is your opportunity to be involved in state-of-the-art technology together with enthusiastic colleagues and ambitious high tech customers in a pleasant working environment. At NTS we highly value our employees: we actively invest in your technical and personal development, while your expertise, energy and commitment is appreciated by means of a competitive full benefit package.
For more information on this Project Assignment please contact:
Laurens van der Laar, Software Architect +31 (0)6 41 16 97 57
Are you ready to make a difference? Please let us know, apply and add your resume and cover letter.
You will be working at one of the leading first-tier suppliers in high-tech. You are passionate about and committed to your specialization, just like our other colleagues. In return for your passion and enthusiasm, we will provide you with chances and opportunities to grow further in your career.
You like to work on projects which contribute to the technology of the future. We make sure to connect challenging projects and activities to your knowledge and competences in the best possible way. That’s how we accelerate the future for you and our customers.
You are motivated to take professional and competence oriented courses, in order to keep developing your knowledge and skills in the field of innovation, creativity, talent development and entrepreneurship.
Do you want to receive our vacancies directly in your mailbox?
Leave your e-mail address and keep informed.
Click here for our privacy statement.